Above every other room in your home, your bedroom is your private sanctuary. Think about it. When you have guests over, your bedroom door is often closed, or located away from the gathering place. Most people ask before they enter your bedroom (so if you want to keep it private, you can!). Because it is a place of rest and relaxation, we firmly believe it should actually look, feel, and function that way too.
There are some easy, practical ways to make that happen, like painting or accessorizing your bedroom with calming colors. We also think its worth it to spend the money on luxurious bedding (You’ll spend 1/3 of your life in bed – make it a comfortable life!), and you should spend the time to pick the perfect furniture. Here is where we come in! We specialize in helping you decide exactly the size, look, and functionality of furniture for your home. We want to help you make the best decision for your needs, so here are a few tips we use all the time:
- Measure first! You don’t want to find the perfect bed or piece, only to find it won’t fit in your space. Measure your room, wall to wall. We suggest you sketch the room and write down the dimensions to help you remember. Then you can pencil in where you want individual pieces to go.
- Decide on what size of bed you want. Single Susie may want a twin bed to make room for all those shoes, or she may want a king size bed so she can sprawl out. Decide what size is best for you (and the size of your room).
- Decide on pieces. Do you need a chest of drawers tall enough for a TV? Or maybe you prefer a longer dresser with less height but equal storage. Do you need lots of drawer space, or more hanging space? What about a nightstand? Do you want one, two, or none? And don’t forget mirrors! Would you prefer a stand-alone full-length mirror, or one that is part of a dresser? Decide what pieces you need, want and have room for in your space.
- Decide your style. Whether you realize it or not, you have a style! You may lean toward a more contemporary style like this, or you may value a more traditional look. Do you like straight lines or curved features? Remember that some looks can change based on the finish, so go ahead and decide the color for your furniture too.
- Go shopping! Take your time with this purchase – it’s a big one! As part of your decision-making, you’ll want to determine a budget, level of quality, and requirements for customer service (especially important if you decide to buy one piece at a time). Every furniture store is different, so make sure you find one that meets every requirement. Shameless plug – you can start with us!